packaging greasemonkey scripts

Mike Rooney mrooney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 04:28:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Nick Ellery<nick.ellery at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> The scripts haven't had to be updated very often recently - once every
>> couple of months.  However, to prevent having to perform lots of Stable
>> Release Updates we are learning towards only including them in a PPA.
>
> I agree that usage of a PPA would make more sense.  For the most part,
> the only people that use these scripts are people who understand PPAs,
> so there shouldn't be much difficulty with installation.

I agree as well, a PPA seems like a perfect approach for something like this.

> A unified
> script would be nice, however I would still like to see some way in
> which you can install a specific script on its own, be it through a
> package for each script, or one for all.

Well, of course you can always do this manually by installing them
from the launchpad code page by just clicking on them. Though
bettergmail2 has a UI that allows you to check which scripts you want;
maybe it wouldn't be too hard to have a basic UI with a checkbox for
each script that allows you to configure them. One advantage this
would have is we could put a few more less commonly used ones in and
disable them by default, but this way they are easily enabled.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney at gmail.com