Regression tracking

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 19 18:31:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:14:50AM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 05:06:18PM +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> > Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> > > We are preparing a new procedure for tracking regressions in Ubuntu.
> > > This should help us prioritise our bug fixing work as we approach the
> > > release and over a few releases we can study the trends and work to
> > > reduce regressions in Ubuntu overall.
> > > Please apply these tags to bugs you come across that fit the criteria
> > > and let us know if you would like to see extensions to this tracking or
> > > have other feedback.
> >
> > Thanks everyone who has started on this. We now have good list at
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=regression-potential
> > which is timely as we approach release.
>
> I recently discovered that the apport retracer is also identifying
> possible regressions when retracing bug reports.  At the moment it is
> only adding a comment regarding this, however I've spoken to Martin
> regarding adding a tag too.  I went ahead and queried the database for
> bugs with the comment subject "Possible regression detected" and have
> posted[0] a list of these bug numbers and their current status and
> importance.  This list may also be worth reviewing, but please don't tag
> all of them as we haven't decided on a tag for the retracer to use.

A patch has landed in apport[0] that will have the retracer tag bugs in
the future as 'regression-retracer'.  Subsequently, I've tagged all the
existing bugs with same tag and these are now searchable[1] in
Launchpad.

[0] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport
[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=regression-retracer

--