Ubuntu QA

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 16 16:56:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM, K.D. Lucas <kdlucas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested to learn more about the Ubuntu QA team. I'm currently the
> lead of Google's Testing of Ubuntu, in which we take the stock Ubuntu image,
> make some Google specific modifications, and then run it through some test
> automation.

Awesome!

> I attended the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Boston last year, and met a few of
> the people leading some of the efforts in the testing of Ubuntu.
>
> In order to perform internal testing of Ubuntu, we wrote a small test
> runner, that we recently open sourced as PyreRing:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pyrering/

Very interesting. Some of the more testing-minded people in Ubuntu QA
might have some more indepth questions for you but it looks like it
could be very useful.

> I'm currently working out a plan to create another code repository, where
> contributers around the world could drop actual Linux test cases that could
> be shared by all. My thoughts are that the test cases would be classified as
> applicable to:
>
> Any Linux distro
> Distro Specific test cases
> Other constraints [kernel version, etc]

I think the QA team would be interested in working on test cases for
Ubuntu and perhaps a team-maintained bzr branch could be a good place
for use to put them. Are you able to share test cases you've been
using for Ubuntu? I'd be interested to see what kinds of things you're
able to do.

> PyreRing is for test cases that can be done with any sort of scripting
> command; however, it is not suitable for GUI testing. I remember at the
> Developer Summit there was talk of a couple of GUI test frameworks: LDTP and
> Dogtail. Has any progress been made in evaluating/implementing those?
>
> So, I'd be curious to hear about your thoughts on test automation.
> Additionally, I'd be interested in joining the Ubuntu QA group if you think
> it would be helpful. Since we (Google) are currently using Ubuntu, I have a
> vested interest in testing Ubuntu; however, I also think there are ways we
> could reach out to the Linux community overall to leverage their
> involvement.

Yeah! If you're able to I think it'd be helpful if you could hop on
#ubuntu-quality IRC channel (freenode.net) to chat with the team about
some of this.

-Jordan (aka LaserJock)