Ubuntu QA

K.D. Lucas kdlucas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:56:51 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm interested to learn more about the Ubuntu QA team. I'm currently the
lead of Google's Testing of Ubuntu, in which we take the stock Ubuntu image,
make some Google specific modifications, and then run it through some test
automation.

I attended the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Boston last year, and met a few of
the people leading some of the efforts in the testing of Ubuntu.

In order to perform internal testing of Ubuntu, we wrote a small test
runner, that we recently open sourced as PyreRing:

http://code.google.com/p/pyrering/

I'm currently working out a plan to create another code repository, where
contributers around the world could drop actual Linux test cases that could
be shared by all. My thoughts are that the test cases would be classified as
applicable to:

   - Any Linux distro
   - Distro Specific test cases
   - Other constraints [kernel version, etc]

PyreRing is for test cases that can be done with any sort of scripting
command; however, it is not suitable for GUI testing. I remember at the
Developer Summit there was talk of a couple of GUI test frameworks: LDTP and
Dogtail. Has any progress been made in evaluating/implementing those?

So, I'd be curious to hear about your thoughts on test automation.
Additionally, I'd be interested in joining the Ubuntu QA group if you think
it would be helpful. Since we (Google) are currently using Ubuntu, I have a
vested interest in testing Ubuntu; however, I also think there are ways we
could reach out to the Linux community overall to leverage their
involvement.

Regards,

Lucas
--