Dogtail scripts in bzr

Lars Wirzenius lars at canonical.com
Tue Jan 15 21:20:06 UTC 2008

On ti, 2008-01-15 at 20:46 +0000, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
>  * We create a simple package for Ubuntu universe called
> ubuntu-test-automation, udtp or similar. This will contain the vetted
> desktop self-testing scripts and an update script. For now this may
> simply be a 'hello world' script.

I'd go for ubuntu-desktop-selftest, or just desktop-selftest, so that it
will be more palatable to Debian.

>  * After you install the base test package you can issue a simple 'synch
> with working repo' command to automatically grab the current working
> tree with the latest scripts. this is clearly opt-in and we may also add
> a warning that you should only run these tests on a separate account.

The synching should probably be implemented as a wrapper around "bzr
branch" (for the initial download) and "bzr pull" (for updates), right?

>  * We use the bug tracker to take script contributions from a larger
> audience. This material will initially be added to the working repo and
> later to the installable package

We should also allow people to send bzr bundles, of course.

> Views? Does this give the right balance of security and a sensible
> workflow? How do we deal with the situation of two versions of the same
> script, one in the package and one in bzr; simply use a different naming
> convention?

It might make sense to initially keep all scripts in the bzr branch
only, and only include the testing framework in the package.

However, eventually we will need to keep put scripts into the package as
well, and for that I suggest we use two directories so that we have two
name spaces and can easily avoid name clashes. The package can put the
scripts included in it into /usr/share/desktop-selftest, and that it
downloads scripts from the bzr branch either into
$HOME/.desktop-selftest, or into /var/cache/desktop-selftest. The former
is probably a better location, so that updating the scripts doesn't
require root access.