As per yesterday's request

Dave Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:57:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 12:31 -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Dave Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've thrown together a general wiki page on bug report layouts with my
> > thoughts on why it's useful and what should be filled in where.  Please
> > make sure it makes sense and it is usable.
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Bug-Report-Layout
> >
> > Feel free to make it better, but keep in mind it needs to be flexible
> > there is a wide range of bugs to report using it :)
> >

> Dave, we talked a little bit about this the other day on IRC but I've
> still got some questions about the larger context.
>
> So my understanding is that you are trying to create a generic
> template for use with any testing, is that right? In which case my
> wanting the ISO test case included makes less sense. Would it be
> appropriate to have two different templates then? One when people are
> just doing general OS testing and one for when they are following
> specific test cases? Besides noting the specific test case where the
> bug was found, another useful bit of information would be what step in
> the test case the bug was encountered.
>
> How often would the Cause field be filled in? I would venture to guess
> that the vast majority of times the tester isn't going to know what
> causes a bug, they just see symptoms.
>
> -Jordan
I've been thinking about this.  If the bug your reporting is that compiz
fails to work on hardware where it should.  Then the title of the
testcase becomes pointless as the testcase are more specific to an
install type.  The only time when it would become useful as I said on
IRC would be if it was specific to testing just the installer method and
nothing else.  This is more like the work we do testing just before the
release of a cd.

So again I think the specific step is what the "Steps to reproduce" tell
you in detail.

As for the cause field most of the time I, as do others, check on the
relevant devel channel about a bug before we report to help add info
they require and speed up the reporting process.  When that happens you
know the cause.  This again is more relevant to devs to remind them of
the conversation that was had.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know