12.10 / nouveau driver+nvidia+dualmonitors-setup newbie / need briefing :)

Tobias k1fri k1fri at gmx.de
Mon Nov 19 19:46:01 UTC 2012

hi folks,

as you (hopefully) know i've been helping test ubuntu flavours for a
while. now since about a week, i've got, in my private working
environment, a dualmonitor setup running on 12.10 / nouveau driver +
nvidia GeForce 7600 GT dating from 2006 (which on 12.04 was running on
the closed sourced driver / single monitor).

since i've got this setup the experience is, well, not so nice! my
system never crashes, but it's sluggish and gives me very high cpu-usage
when opening/removing/resizing windows and such as. also the graphics
adapters temperature is constantly at a very high level (no matter what
i do).

i had a check a couple of days ago - most of the features of my graphics
adapter are not supported by nouveau.

so my first question: is there any point in sticking with the nouveau
driver?
and second would be: if so, what can i do to improve the experience (as
my system never ever crashes) ?
and third: if this is the wrong place to ask, where else could i do?

thanks for your advice
beste grüße
tobias