connecting power users to their tools

Paul Hoell hoellp at gmail.com
Sat May 21 13:18:45 UTC 2011

I think install-time download of the power tools could be done further down
the road.
There are some steps that need to be done before that, and we shouldn't rush
into this. For now it's necessary to get the tools to a place we can work
with function-wise. As long as they're not thoroughly tested and prove to be
stable, i think installing them at install time might be a tad overpowering
for most users.
We talk about power-users here, so installing via meta-package oder just a
simple apt-get line for now should really be enough. It would also make it
much less likely that an inexperienced user stumbles onto them, when they're
still in a state where there is no easy way to revert changes and little to
no safeguards to what you can do to your system.

To collect my thoughts, i think an integration with the installer shouldn't
be done before next LTS+1, so there is time to refine the tools and get a
suggested workflow in order.

greets
Paul
<-