Building Safety Into Our Work

David Green david4dev at gmail.com
Fri May 20 22:41:19 UTC 2011

I think a backup/restore ability and a history/undo/redo ability would be
good, as others have mentioned.  Backup/restore would not only be useful for
safeguarding against messing up your system but also for setting up your
system how you like it when you do a fresh install.

On IRC, there have been worries about the difficulties of doing these
things. For example, the problem of having to know about all of the
gconf/dconf/compizconfig/dot files etc. would make it impractical to have
the application make a snapshot of the current configuration. I think a
solution to this problem is to have a really dumb frontend that delegates
these responsibilities to plugins.

I created a quick mockup plugin API to demonstrate this:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/610848/

Basically, rely on plugins to modify the configuration and require them to
be able to backup/restore the configuration of their specific domain.