Building Safety Into Our Work

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:05:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Mike Basinger <mike.basinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We have enough sites inside/outside of Ubuntu that say "hey install this
> deb/ppa/file" it awesome and then 10 minute later the person has an
> usable system.

For some reason a lot of people seem to believe that installing a deb
or ppa is automagically safe. The idea that it could be malware or
render their system non-functional never enters their mind. I doubt
it's an issue that effects most power users but I know it's one that
newbies struggle with as I've gotten the support calls for it lol.

I don't think we need to make the system idiot proof. If someone is
hellbent on installing some random deb or ppa then so be it. But we
need to warn, warn, warn, them what the ramifications of doing so
might be.

Anthony