[Ubuntu-PH] Students rehab old computers for families in need

Aptenix cgregan at aptenix.com
Fri Jan 11 20:42:08 UTC 2008

Just so the group knows, since there seemed to be a fair amount of
controversy about this post at the time, this was a Ubuntu 7.10 OEM install
done by the kids. I set up a local repository mirror since the school was
not allowing network access, and we had the kids connect, install, then
update and customize a Gutsy desktop.

The teacher (Tony Bellino) gave me a list of programs being used by the
students in the school, and I match them to FOSS alternatives, and provided
in-class guidance and a short presentation on how Stallman started the Free
Software movement, GNU, GPL, How Linus got involved, The Community, and the
freedoms that this movement has given these students over the software they
use.

They were particularly interested in the idea of taking a working piece of
software, adding features they thought were cool, then selling that software
to make millions...enough to then launch yourself into space (like
Shuttleworth; whom I used as an example).

However, the biggest upside to this effort was that there are kids with
access to technology that they would not have access to without the efforts
of the FOSS Community and men like Stallman, Shuttleworth, and Torvalds.

Thanks for you time,
Chris Gregan
Aptenix Desktop Solutions
New Market, MD