Switching from Fedora

Johann Schoonees j.schoonees at irl.cri.nz
Thu Sep 28 00:11:46 BST 2006

Hi Ubuntu NZ

Does anyone have experience switching from Fedora to [k]ubuntu?

I've been using Fedora at work (Core 2/KDE) and at home (Core 3/GNOME)
for a few years.  I know just enough to get by but if anything
off-centre happens I have to run for help.

My FC3 at home needs upgrading mostly because getting multimedia stuff
to work for the family has been a bit of a mess.

I tried an Ubunti liveCD and was initially put off because it did not
have gcc on it!  I don't quite remember but it might not have had some
pretty standard tools like emacs or wget either.  I am used to having
development tools around for my little programming projects.

I am also aware that Ubuntu differs from Fedora in its packaging
parentage: Debian vs. Red Hat, apt vs. yum, etc.  It looks as if I
might have to install quite a bit on top of the standard distro.  We
do have broadband.

Am I looking at a long learning curve?  Dad is not going to be popular
at home if tux racer is out of commission for more than a day.  Mum
uses it seriously for architectural consulting work - OpenOffice, the
Gimp, etc.

I would want some control over putting /home and /usr/local (anything
else?) on a separate partition to make future upgrades easier.

War stories, tips, gotchas appreciated!

Thanks,
Johann