[FOSS-Nepal] agian internet connection problem

Prahmod prahmod at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:12:20 BST 2008

well man let me give a try.i had the same problem but i had a happy
ending.these days i am able to connect using my dialup account.
	just catch this command and type it on the terminal to find out the
port address for ur modem.
              wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

with my case it ends up with the screen like saying:
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

WvModem<*1>: Cannot set information for serial port.
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- 57600
ttyS0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: Max speed is 115200; that should be safe.
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S2   S3

Found a modem on /dev/ttyS0.

	so it is clear now that my modem is detected and is on the ttyS0
port(COM1 in windows).now after ur modem is detected and u r sure about
the location(port) try setting up ur dialup account with the some of the
commands like wvdial,pppconfig.
   let me go with the pppconfig,it is simple and interactive.
              goto the terminal and type
			sudo pppconfig
    now just follow the instructions and if all goes fine u r done with
ur dialup account.

	after that to dial to the ISP be sure to remember ur dialup account
name that u setup in the pppconfig just above.
	to dial type the following command in the terminal
		pon your_dialup_account_name

and to disconnect the dialup connection just type
		poff
and to view the log type
		plog

i think it is just enough for u to setup ur ISP through dialup.but if u
even face any problem or get confused just post ur mail here there r a
lot of fossians always ready to help.

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 07:43 -0700, raju wrote:
> Hello friends,
> I am sorry for bother you guys again and again with the same problem.
> I know how difficult is it to answer the same question. But I need
> your help and I am desperately waiting for it.
>
> I have just got a new UBUNTU 8.04 DESKTOP operating system CD. I have
> tried it to run in demo version. Everything is fine with it as with
> the last cd. But the problem is the dialup connction.
>
> for connecting internet I enter into the Administration--> Network -->
> and then I got a window. I use the following settings:
>
> USERNAME, PASSWORD, PHONE NO.
> selected the modem connection as a default connection, checked the box
> to connect the net once it is unable to connect or it gets
> disconnected. Then in the next tab I was told to assign the modem
> port. It has got no. of ports now can you please tell me which one
> should I select. I have also enabled the network connection.
>
> There is one more option to select from and the options are: Serial
> modem port, ppo selection, and GPRS connection. Out of which I
> selected serial modem port.
>
> After all these hectic settings I again end up hopeless. Everything is
> fine with my computer and my internet user name and password. I can
> connect with the same user name and password in my windows xp
> operating system.
>
> Can you please tell me what can I do to resolve this problem.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Rajesh
>
> Community website: http://www.fossnepal.org/

                lastly "SAY YES TO LINUX"