[FOSSNepal] Re: CDMA Internet

Shishir Jha shishirjh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 19:06:03 BST 2008

Thats it abish, you should be on to the internet, because that is all that
needs to happen before you can go wireless.

--> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATX3
OK
--> Sending: AT&FH0M0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATM0L0DT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM0L0DT#777
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Thu Apr 17 23:25:05 2008
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
--> --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
--> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
--> Pid of pppd: 6514
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local  IP address 10.1.0.143
--> remote IP address 10.64.64.64
--> primary   DNS address 202.70.64.5
--> secondary DNS address 202.70.64.15

This is the my connection's log, and this is the same connection that i am
using to reply you. So i think you should be on by now. Let us know if you
are still facing any problem.

Hello, Viirimind, it is even easier to use internet using CDMA directly
through serial port. For that all you need to do is plug the CDMA in to the
serial port, and follow the steps in the tutorial from where it says to use
'wvdialconf'. Your modem in the CDMA phone will be automatically detected
and so will be its parameters. All that you will have to do now is edit the
/etc/wvdial.conf with your internet username and password.

You might have to do one strange thing though. When you dial, using wvdial,
plese make sure that you raise the handset and the dial tone is audible,
because when I dial with the hand set down, it doesnot get connected, so if
u face the same problem please make sure that you pick up handset.

Just so that you know, the phone (for that matter anything connected to
serial port) is usually assigned /dev/ttyS0. In contrast to serial-usb
converter or the Cell phones, dmesg and /var/log/syslog doesnot show any
kernel message when you connect the phone to the port of your computer.
Don't worry, because wvdialconf straightly communicates with the device in
serial port to configure your phone's modem.

Please write in if you have any problem, we will be happy to help you.

CHeers

On 4/17/08, abish <abishadh at gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you all for the support. I am almost connected to the internet
> now.
> this is what happens now.
>
> my wvdial.conf is:
>
> [Dialer Defaults]
> In it1 = ATZ
>
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> Modem Type = USB Modem
> Baud = 460800
> New PPPD = yes
> Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
> ISDN = 0
> Phone = #777
>
> Password = 9741147061
> Username = 9741147061
>
> and in the terminal...
>
> abish at lappy:~$ wvdial
> WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
> WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
> WvDial<*1>: Initializing modem.
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATZ
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATZ
> WvDial Modem<*1>: OK
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> WvDial Modem<*1>: OK
> WvDial<*1>: Modem initialized.
> WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATDT#777
> WvDial<*1>: Waiting for carrier.
> WvDial Modem<*1>: ATDT#777
> WvDial Modem<*1>: CONNECT
> WvDial<*1>: Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
> WvDial<Notice>: Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for
> the best.
> WvDial<Notice>: Starting pppd at Thu Apr 17 22:23:24 2008
> WvDial<Err>: Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
> Permission denied
> WvDial<Err>: --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
> WvDial<Err>: Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:
> Permission denied
> WvDial<Err>: --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
> WvDial<Notice>: Pid of pppd: 5905
> WvDial<*1>: Using interface ppp0
> WvDial<*1>: local  IP address 10.0.0.132
> WvDial<*1>: remote IP address 10.64.64.64
> WvDial<*1>: primary   DNS address 202.70.64.5
> WvDial<*1>: secondary DNS address 202.70.64.15
>
> now.. what do i need to do..?
> i got IP and the DNS... now what..?
> thank you in advance..
> so eager to go wireless!!