clarification of Ubuntu CoC

Bikal KC bikal at ubuntu.org.np
Sun Apr 13 18:12:58 BST 2008

Below is a conversation I had with Sulabh that new
users should find easier to understand as to why
sign CoC with a key. I am posting this with
express permission from Sulabh! :-))))

<Sulabh> what is a pgp key?
<bokey> pretty good privacy key
<bokey> :-)
<bokey> asym way to crypt things
<Sulabh> why is a key required to sign the CoC then?
<bokey> it's gnu version is called gpg (Gnu PGP)
<bokey> 1) hmm.. because all other loco do it that
way. 2) you verify who you pretend to be by
signing the Coc with your private key 3) it's a
geeky thing :p
<Sulabh> hehe ok
<Sulabh> is that like the pub key you send it in
your email to FOSS Nepal?
<bokey> yes.. that's the keyid of my pub key you
can find in my journal
<bokey> that pub key then is used by
you/anyone_else to crypt stuffs which you sent to
me. only i have the private key so only i can
decrypt the encrypted mail
<bokey> :-)
<bokey> you can find my key in
keyserver.ubuntu.com or pgp.mit.edu
<Sulabh> ya, the Assymetric cypher thing
<bokey> yup
<Sulabh> cipher*
<Sulabh> :D
<bokey> :)
<Sulabh> the key i create is also going to be
uploaded to these servers?
<bokey> yes you upload to keyserver.ubuntu.com
<bokey> can i post this conversation to the
mailing list? it looks like it might help other users
<bokey> gare huncha?
<Sulabh> yeah :)
<Sulabh> sure
<bokey> okie dokie :-)