Submission: Community Donations Funding Report

Michael Hall mhall119 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:00:47 UTC 2014

Please post the following to the Fridge, original post is at
http://mhall119.com/2014/05/community-donations-funding-report/:

Last year the main <a title="Download 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04"
href="http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/contribute/?version=14.04&architecture=i386"
target="_blank">Ubuntu download page</a> was changed to include a form
for users to make a donation to one or more parts of Ubuntu, including
to the community itself. Those donations made for "Community projects"
were <a title="Funding request form"
href="http://community.ubuntu.com/help-information/funding/"
target="_blank">made available</a> to members of our community who would
use them to benefit the Ubuntu project.

Every dollar given out is an investment in Ubuntu and the community that
built it. This includes sponsoring community events, sending community
representatives to those events with booth supplies and giveaway items,
purchasing hardware to make improve development and testing, and more.

But these expenses don't cover the time, energy, and talent that went
along with them, without which the money itself would have been wasted.
Those contributions, made by the recipients of these funds, can't be
adequately documented in a financial report, so thank you to everybody
who received funding for their significant and sustained contributions
to Ubuntu.

As part of our commitment to openness and transparency we said that we
would publish a report highlighting both the amount of donations made to
this category, and how and where that money was being used. Linked below
is the first of those reports.

<a title="Community Donations Funding Report"
href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/11xUZDhHzfcu38NABw4jgGD9vuCawRh9EcbgsPVQRwgA/edit?usp=sharing"
target="_blank">View the Report</a>

--
Michael Hall