Xubuntu Community Meeting 2010-11-18

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Nov 18 23:32:51 GMT 2010

Hash: SHA1

The Xubuntu Community held an open meeting on 2010-11-18. These are the
minutes of that meeting.

== Team Reports ==

Technical -

    * inclusion of Xfce 4.7.x is in progress
    * almost all 4.8 core libs are already there
    * most applications will remain the same as they were in Xubuntu
    * Xubuntu will not be moving to GTK3 for Natty
          o http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2010-November/028400.html
          o what happens will also affect QIMO project 


    * moving the website to wordpress is not going to happen unless
      someone wants to pick it up. 


    * Try to update the documentation to Natty. We are behind a couple
      of releases already. 

Bugs and Testing

    * Bugs and Testing: We are working to triage bugs as they come in.
      We are getting hit pretty hard on abiword right now
    * Need to send the Abiword bugs upstream
    * Testing will be ongoing, with the changes in Natty for Ubuntu, we
      need to try and test every day or two.
    * Charlie is running Natty, upgraded from Maverick 


    * we are looking at replacing the elementary icon theme with faenza
          o http://shimmerproject.org/hg/faenza-xfce 
    * Thorsten Wilms from the Community Artwork Team attended.
          o Thorsten will work with us and Saleel to develop a good set
            of specifications for Xubuntu Artwork. 
          o https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/Request-7 is not a
             valid spec at this time. 

== New Business ==

Charlie would like a new display manager for Xubuntu. LightDM was
discussed and will need to be investigated.

=== Meeting Schedule ===

A vote was taken on when to hold meetings; the Xubuntu Community
Meetings will be held weekly on Thursday at 19:00 UTC.

== Xubuntu Governance ==

    * We need to decide on a permanent Project Lead. Charlie is an
      interim Xubuntu Project Lead.
    * charlie-tca will send an email to the mailing lists for
      submissions for Project Lead. We need to work this so we can then
      work towards a council-based approach. 

== Old Business ==

Xubuntu Governance

    * The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found
      at Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu Governance & Team Structure
    * The Xubuntu project will advance towards a Council-based
      governance approach. 

The Xubuntu Council

    * The Council size should be 5 members, with one of them being the
    * PL will have a vote in every voting in the Council, not just as a
    * The 4 members in the Council in addition to the PL should be
      selected by the existing Xubuntu Contributors.
    * The appropriate Team Lead can be the tiebreaker in a vote, but
      only if PL is absent.
    * The council should *aim* to have balanced membership across the
      different aspects/teams of Xubuntu.
    * The council should be named/selected after every LTS release.
      Thus, every season lasts for 2 years. 

== Action items for the next meeting ==

    * charlie-tca to get with thorwil and Saleel about artwork specs by
    * Find out more information about LightDM
    * follow up with xfce devs on display managers

- -- 
Charlie Kravetz 
Xubuntu Interim Project Lead
Linux Registered User Number 425914          [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)


More information about the Ubuntu-news-team mailing list