Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 2010-08-17
brad.figg at canonical.com
Wed Aug 18 01:45:43 BST 2010
= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/08/17/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]
== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 17 Aug, 2010|20100817 Meeting Agenda]]
=== ARM Status ===
* Marvel (mvl-dove)
* MISC : Brad helped to merge the Marvell Dove LSP 5.3.2 sync'ed branch into 'mvl-dove' - smoke tested OK
* Freescale (fsl-imx51)
* FIXED : B615722 missing a patch to switch low power mode only support in mc13892 2.0a
* Texas Instruments (ti-omap)
* ON GOING : B591941 original author sent a patch to try - it does work but introduces another problem
* ON GOING : B608266 mtdblockXYZ are now mapped by the kernel and published in user space - mobile team to test
* ON GOING : B608279 the EDID is readily accessible from user space with i2c-tools - mobile team test and report
* ON GOING : B605488 more testing in progress - still no sign
* PATCH : B588243 received a patch from linux-omap which fixed this issue - waiting for upstream review
* MISC : Still waiting for TI OMAP4 (official) release - pre-release reviewed and comments provided to TI
=== Release Metrics: ===
==== Beta Milestoned Bugs (32 across all packages (down 3)) ====
* 4 linux kernel bugs (up 2)
* 0 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (no change)
* 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
* 0 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
* 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
* 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (down 1)
==== Release Targeted Bugs (124 across all packages (up 3)) ====
* 23 linux kernel bugs (down 2)
* 0 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (down 2)
* 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
* 2 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
* 2 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
* 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Milestoned Features ====
* 14 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)
==== Bugs with Patches Attached:122 (down 4) ====
* [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on | Bugs with Patches]]
* [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/ | Breakdown by status]]
=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-apparmor ===
Very little change, a few post merge fixups, and a few minor patches to user side tools
=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-new-kernel-on-lts ===
The Maverick LTS backport to Lucid is tracking the Maverick kernel in the kernel-ppa at http://ppa.launchpad.net/kernel-ppa/ppa/ubuntu
=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-pv-ops-ec2-kernel ===
pv-on-hvm has been postponed to M+1, there was not going to be an AMI to support the CC in Maverick so it made no sense to push it in. Instead we are going to roll a kernel PPA including pv-on-hvm for testing purposes.
Bug 574910 - high load averages. Appears to be mostly phantom load + possible a few other bugs piling on. Reverting commit 0d843425672f4d2dc99b9004409aae503ef4d39f seems to clean it up. Though we haven't seen user report success back with the test kernel.
Bug 606373 - not bug 554172 or bug 431103 related. Need to poke at it more.
Bug 613273 - has not been replicated or happened again
* [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/574910|Launchpad bug 574910 in linux-ec2 (Ubuntu) "High load averages on Lucid while idling" [Undecided,In progress] ]]
* [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/606373|Launchpad bug 606373 in cloud-init (Ubuntu) "cloud-init output does not get to console when booted with pv-grub and ramdisk" [High,Confirmed] ]]
* [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/554172|Launchpad bug 554172 in linux (Ubuntu) "system services using "console output" not starting at boot" [High,Confirmed] ]]
* [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/431103|Launchpad bug 431103 in linux-ec2 (Ubuntu Karmic) "ssh host key fingerprint no longer available in the console log" [High,Fix released] ]]
* [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/613273|Launchpad bug 613273 in linux (Ubuntu) "kernel panic on ec2 in system_call_fastpath" [Undecided,New] ]]
=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bug-handling ===
Nothing new this week.
=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-upstart ===
Nothing to report, not sure there is anything realy left to report on either.
=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bios-test-automation ===
Nothing new this week.
=== Status: Maverick ===
Our Maverick kernel is now rebased on v220.127.116.11 and uploaded as linux-2.6.35-16.22. Please test.
Maverick Beta is Thurs Sept 2nd, ie ~2weeks away. Also, keep in mind that Kernel Freeze is Thurs Sept 16th, ie ~4weeks away. Remember after Kernel Freeze, we transition to our SRU policy in order to apply patches.
We are above our Beta burn down chart's trend line and dangerously close to being above the trend line overall for the first time. I realize most of the remaining tasks are not release critical but don't wait till the last minute to close them out.
(pgraner) ogasawara, +1 on that
=== Security & bugfix kernels - Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others ===
|| || Upd./Sec. || Proposed || TiP || Verified ||
|| Dapper: Kernel || 2.6.15-55.86 || || || ||
|| Hardy: Kernel || 2.6.24-28.73 || || || ||
|| Jaunty: Kernel || 2.6.28-19.62 || || || ||
|| Karmic: Kernel || 2.6.31-22.61 || || || ||
|| = mvl-dove || 2.6.31-214.29 || || || ||
|| = fsl-imx51 || 2.6.31-112.28 || || || ||
|| = ec2 || 2.6.31-307.16 || || || ||
|| Lucid: Kernel || 2.6.32-24.39 || 2.6.32-24.40 || 0 || 0/ 3 ||
|| = mvl-dove || 2.6.32-207.21 || || || ||
|| = fsl-imx51 || 2.6.31-608.15 || || || ||
|| = ti-omap || 2.6.33-502.9 || || || ||
|| = ec2 || 2.6.32-308.14 || || || ||
Proposed kernels for Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid-fsl-imx51 waiting to be
accepted into proposed.
=== Incoming Bugs: Regressions ===
252 Maverick Bugs (up 19)
886 Lucid Bugs (down 246)
Current regression stats (broken down by release):
==== regression-potential ====
* 126 maverick bugs (up 8)
* 157 lucid bugs (down 69: to be converted to regression-release)
==== regression-update ====
* 35 lucid bugs (down 7)
* 6 karmic bugs (no change)
* 4 jaunty bugs (no change)
* 1 hardy bug (no change)
==== regression-release ====
* 155 lucid bugs (down 26)
* 39 karmic bugs (down 5)
* 18 jaunty bugs (down 1)
* 2 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-proposed ====
* 3 lucid bugs (no change)
* 1 karmic bug (no change)
=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report ===
The next bug day will be next Tuesday. We will be focusing on bugs with patches attached with an effort toward preparing them for review by the team to see if they have been addressed in kernel updates or if they need to be sent to the list for
consideration. We will continue to have the Team Bug Day to address the Top 50 list as half days on Friday and Monday, as these seem to be working out very well. Reviewers, please
take a look at your needs-review lists and help us keep the process moving.
=== Triage Status ===
I spent a bit of time this past week running the expire script. We expired about 1600 bugs from the incomplete list and I hope to run the script early next week to see if there are any more that can be expired.
I've not had the chance to work further with chazn85 the past 2 weeks, but I hope to link back up next week.
=== Open Discussion or Questions ===
Nothing this week.
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com
More information about the Ubuntu-news-team