Fwd: about contributing and sharing the ubuntu spirit

Efrain efrain at ubuntu.org.ve
Wed Jun 3 02:59:38 BST 2009

Ok after having a long chat with Joey Stanford in the news-team irc
channel. he and Mattew Newzum have indicated that there is a planed
revamp of the fridge and the ideas we have proposed would somehow fit
the new fridge.

However this won't happen overnight, the current structure and
editorial line of the fridge does not intend to cover LoCo news front
page as it seeks to keep a professional line. Unless it is something
very interesting to the ubuntu project. which makes sense since fridge
promotes news to the world and not just ubuntu.

"If it is a win for Ubuntu, a special international event, or
something that affects a large international population then it
usually gets posted to the Fridge"

It is the intention of the fridge staff to have LoCo content, "The
fridge though should really also contain targeted content like loco
news as a side bar
or "second page" We're not setup to do that right now but with some
hacking and layout changes we might be able to do that very easily"
but this is not a priority now. and one can understand since thye have
been working on this revamp for a while.

So for the time being. LoCo teams can submit news by emails and most
probably they will reach Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.  unless the
submission is considered headline material.  There is also a
suggestion of using a vote-on-news to promote the upcoming news from
the community. but all in given time.

Well, my exploration has serve me to check how fridge can help and my
honest suggestion is still, create the habit of repoting to the
news-team as this can only push for those LoCo spaces in the fridge to
be available in the future.

I have set my suggestion in the Rejuvenate entry of the wiki, feel
free to add more ideas. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fridge/Rejuvenate.

The fridge offers the LoCo teams an open press room to provider their
content and event if the initial offer is very conservative, I still
see as a very importante one.

What do you guys think?

--
Efrain Valles