[ubuntu-mythtv] Mythbuntu theme Watch Recordings cursor change

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Wed Aug 29 09:01:18 UTC 2012

On 28/08/2012 17:50, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> No. The theme already pushes the limits of visibility, what with grey
> text on a black background and all. A dimmer grey is not going to be
> visible from across the room, and the Mythbuntu theme has always
> emphasized its usability as part of the prototypical "10-foot
> interface".

I'm just providing suggestions and I don't really mind what's done as
long as it works and, as you say, is visible from across the room. But
the point is that the current "slightly whiter" text showing the
selected item in the left column when the cursor is in the right column
does *not*, to my eyes, work from across the room.

Although we don't want to have any confusion about where the cursor is,
the previous "two cursor" theming was certainly easily visible from
across the room, and easily understandable as to what was the selected
item in the left column.

> Surprisingly, some of this is themable. The ability to press PLAY in
> the group pane is too valuable to change, though, especially when
> there is only one entry in the recording pane.

Well, I still respectfully disagree. I've never pressed Play while the
cursor is in the left column, and I think if I did I might expect it to
play *all* the items in the right column one after the other (i.e. add
them to a playlist). The fact that it would play a "random" item from
the right (i.e. the last item that happened to be highlighted on the
right, or the first item on the right if navigating to a new item on the
left) seems non-obvious to me and doesn't seem like a good thing to
encourage.

> I didn't start using it until 0.25, myself, going so far as to
> disabling the rudimentary fan art support in earlier versions of the
> Mythbuntu theme. 0.25 really improves on fan art support, however; I
> found that fan art appeared for the vast majority of my recordings
> without having to do anything. This is what motivated me to add full
> fan art support to the Mythbuntu theme.

Thanks for the note. I last tried it prior to 0.25 (I don't remember
which version) and found it too intrusive as I like the clean simplicity
of the Mythbuntu theme, but I'll give it another go in 0.25.

> PS - I've pretty much decided to indeed revert the highlighting of the
> entire focused pane.

Cheers,

John

--