[ubuntu-my] First Malaysian OS?

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 03:35:52 UTC 2011

On Thursday 10,March,2011 11:27 AM, zarul shahrin wrote:
> Let me make your life easier since you're attacking me without fully understand
> my post or just don't bother to scroll up and read;

Then let me make myself more clear, since you are either selectively reading my
posts, or are just not reading.

> Zarul Shahrin:
>
> " IF I can get access to a copy"
>
> Najmi:
>
> "it's commercial, you've to buy them."
>
> Zarul Shahrin:
>
>     it's commercial, you've to buy them.

Because nobody apart from them is distributing the software. Like I said, they
are not legally obliged to distribute their software for free. And if nobody who
has a copy of the software distributes it, then the only source would be from
them, right?

Let me repeat that. Additional copies are not illegal. The issue is that nobody
has made one, and nobody interested has access to the original to make
additional copies.

>   This is the problem.  No Understanding of GPL whatsoever.
>
> From GPL FAQ:
>
> Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay
> me a fee and/or notify me?
> No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people
> have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone
> in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.
>
> The GPL is a free software license, and therefore it permits people to use and
> even redistribute the software without being required to pay anyone a fee for
> doing so.

Which is exactly what I said. And which is not what they are saying.

What they are saying: If you don't pay us, we won't give you updates.

What they did not say, but is true anyway if they abide by GPL: Even if you
don't pay us, if someone else gives you a copy of the updates, that's still legal.

What's actually happening: No third party is redistributing the updates, or the
actual distro itself, although this is legal, assuming they abide by the GPL.

Can you find something in their website that does not agree with what I said?

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin