[ubuntu-my] First Malaysian OS?

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 03:17:49 UTC 2011

On Thursday 10,March,2011 11:02 AM, zarul shahrin wrote:
> I didn't say anything about them selling it, but more about
> its availability.  If they can't even follow something as simple as that, I
> wonder what else have been breached.

Availability? According to the GPL, you only need to make the source code
available after selling your clients the binaries. And you need to allow your
clients to do whatever they want with the binaries/source code.

Like I said, what they are doing is very similar to what RedHat is doing. There
are no legal issues here, only perhaps ethical issues, but even that is debatable.

Their web site does not claim that you cannot make copies or redistribute the
distribution after buying it from them. But neither are they obliged (legally)
to distribute their distribution for free either.

Hence, if you do obtain a copy of the distribution from a third party (say, for
free, without obtaining a license from them), that's not illegal. You just won't
receive updates, because you're not registered with them so they won't ship
updates to you. Simple as that.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin