[ubuntu-my] ISSUE: Canonical Permission for our domain http://ubuntu.com.my

ApOgEE jerungkun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 02:34:47 BST 2008

Dear Mr. Zarul,

Sorry for making you uncomfortable. It is not my intention anyway. The thing
is, I'm not trying to point everything on you or even to anybody. It is just
a reminder that if there is still an issue on our domain permission from
canonical, we should just handle it and resolve the issue.

It doesn't really matter who is going to do it. I'm pointing you in the
first place just because you are the founder and you may already know and
resolve this issue previously due to your previous statement that you have
done many things for Ubuntu Malaysia and you can contact Mark directly. So,
I assume that you may have already resolve the issue but maybe you just
didn't put it for public viewing and acknowledgment since I couldn't find it
stated in our mailing list nor in #ubuntu-my channel logs. I did found your
arguments regarding the trademark policy and all the things.

This issue digged yesterday when I've been asked by some UbuntuForums admin
regarding our domain, canonical trademark policy and our written permission
in using that domain because they did find it on our LoCo Team page and my
wiki page. During that queries, I don't have you available on #ubuntu-my
channel to ask directly regarding this matter and I'm searching for answers.
So, what I can do is searching the old archives of our mailing list and our
channel logs. I couldn't find any statement which clearly said that you have
already resolve the issue and tell them the truth. However, in order to save
our butt, I told them that we will look into this matter, will resolve it
and will let them know later if the issue have been resolved.

As for now, we have all clear that the issue is not settle yet and that make
us have works to do to fix it. So, lets stop arguing and pointing each
other. Get up and let's fix the issue together. I'm willing to help in any
sense that I'm able to. I know, others are here and they are also ready and
available to help us solving the issue.

And for the report and make it clear, now we have people working on this
matter:

1. Mr. Nicholas (nbliang) - working on requesting canonical for the domain.
2. Mr. Hafiz (papit) and the server team - ready to make adjustment for
domain redirections.

Reference links:
http://logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode/2008/07/24/%23ubuntu-my.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-my/2008-July/000702.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-my/2008-July/000707.html

Hope to hear good news on this soon.

Again, sorry for this hurdles my friends. I don't meant to make it up. Let's
stand together and build our community in friendly, helpful and peace
environment. As that what "Ubuntu" really means. Cheers!!

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:22 AM, zarul shahrin <zarulshahrin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To make things clear
>
> 1) I didn't register the domain name
>
> 2) I agreed to talk about it with Canonical,in fact I did query them
> regarding this, and I requested for certain "conditions" to be met if you
> guys want me to proceed (and this has obviously got me into a flame war..)..
> and I have been talking about this "trademarks" thing Million of times .. So
> please don't say I didn't this and that and point everything at me..
> 3) Some of you are VERY "clear" on my stand in this. So please don't get me
> started...
>

> I wanted to get us free from this problem and I was flamed for that... So,
> now that we are in this hot soup.. Please don't point everything at me... I
> warned you guys..

Best Wishes,

ApOgEE a.k.a JeRuNgKuN
https://edge.launchpad.net/~apogee - ApOgEE on LaunchPad