[ubuntu-my] FC6 hate my Ubuntu

Shahriman Sam chaah86 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 06:29:47 BST 2007

I`ve encounter similar problem  bout two years ago during  my Distro
Hunting days which is (Ubuntu , Fedora , BSDs  and yeah WinXP);

I`m not sure how exactly to solve your problem but here is what i did
on configuring WinXP , Ubuntu and Fedora on my friend  60GB Pata Hdd.

 First step;  Install WinXP
 Second Step: Install Ubuntu
 3rd Step      :  Install Fedora

Assuming your Installation WInxp went on smoothly, Install Ubuntu
here`s the basic partitoning wel

/dev/hda1 XP NTFS   Winxp ofcourse
/dev/hda2 as extended partition mount somewhere in /mnt or /media
/dev/hda3 boot ext3 -> 100 Mbytes (for Ubuntu)
/dev/hda4 Swap -> 1 Gbyte (for Ubuntu)
/dev/hda5 / ext3 -> any size you may want for Ubuntu

I believe the current Ubuntu will install the Grub directly on the MBR
not much you can do over  here. Leave it like that

Now Install Fedora;

The partitoning for fedora should be something similar like this

/dev/hda6 ext3 /boot -> 100 Mbytes (for fedora)
/dev/hda7 SWAP -> 1 Gbyte (for fedora)
/dev/hda8 ext3 / -> Any size you may want for Fedora

U can add anymore partition that u like, during the installation of
Fedora, it will ask where do you want to install the Grub, we say we
wanted to install the grub on the boot partition of Fedora which is
/dev/hda6 .

After finish installing your Fedora. restart and boot into Ubuntu ( u
won`t be able to boot your Fedora just yet !!)

now use any text editor that u like (vim is my choice) edit  /boot/grub/menu.lst
and put this code

title Fedora
root (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

The counting for the partition starts from 0 so (hd0,5) means
/dev/hda6 , treat it likes an index for a array.

Finish the editing. and restart
if everything when well
At the Grub menu you will get

XP
Lots of Ubuntu kernel
Fedora

Select Fedora and you will boot into the Fedora Grub Menu.
Hope this helps :)

--
Muhammad Shahriman bin Samsudin
Electrical & Electronics Engineering Student