Learning to package

Hannie Dumoleyn lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl
Sun Jul 7 19:48:43 UTC 2013

Op 07-07-13 19:45, Alessandro Menti schreef:
> Did you run the command debuild -S -sa at this point to create the
> source package? The -sa switch makes debuild mention the original
> tarball in the .changes file, so that dput will upload it to the PPA
> when requested; without it, Launchpad will fail to locate the original
> source code and abort the build process.

I found this:
http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/ppa/

  * In bzr source branch run:
  * bzr bd --- -S -sa

I ran the command from the directory with the package files:

~/pbuilder/precise_result$ bzr bd --- -S -sa
bzr: ERROR: no such option: -s

I do not know what is meant by: "In bzr source branch...."
I found a directory usr/share/doc/bzr and /usr/bin/bzr.py but I get the
same error from there.

Using the other option also gives me a cryptic error message:
Using Quickly:

  * Run the 'quickly release' command

~$ quickly release
ERROR: No release command found.
Candidate commands are: commands, getstarted, help, quickly

I have installed quickly, but there is no such command as quickly release.

>> Did you receive an e-mail indicating acceptance or rejection after the
>> upload? If so, what were its contents? (Also, make sure to upload the
>> .changes file corresponding to the source package mentioned above).
No, I did not receive an email.
I found this:
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Uploading
dput ppa:your-lp-id/ppa <source.changes>
I did this:

~$ dput ppa:my_lp_name/ubuntu-handleiding12.04
mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1_amd64.changes

Checking signature on .changes
gpg: Ondertekening heeft vr 05 jul 2013 12:35:05 CEST gemaakt met RSA
sleutel ID 7E7B0BCB
gpg: Goede ondertekening van "my_name <my_email>"
Good signature on
/home/my_name/mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1_amd64.changes.
Checking signature on .dsc
gpg: Ondertekening heeft vr 05 jul 2013 12:34:43 CEST gemaakt met RSA
sleutel ID 7E7B0BCB
gpg: Goede ondertekening van "my_name <my_email>"
Good signature on /home/my_name/mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1.dsc.
Uploading to ppa (via ftp to ppa.launchpad.net):
Uploading mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1.dsc: done.
Uploading mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1.orig.tar.gz: done.
Uploading mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1.debian.tar.gz: done.
Uploading mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1_amd64.deb: done.
Uploading mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1_amd64.changes: done.
Successfully uploaded packages.

>> Alessandro Menti
Thank you for helping me, Alessandro.
I am beginning to understand how to package, but when I get stuck I do
need some help. Sometimes the instructions are too cryptic for
beginners, like "In bzr source branch run".
Hannie