Learning to package

Alessandro Menti alessandro.menti at hotmail.it
Sun Jul 7 17:45:35 UTC 2013

Il 06/07/2013 13:18, Hannie Dumoleyn ha scritto:
> I have gone through a lot of steps in preparation of the actual
> packaging (see 8 steps below).
> I successfully uploaded  the .changes file to Launchpad. dput
> ppa:lafeber-dumoleyn/ubuntu-handleiding12.04
> mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1_amd64.changes Terminal output:
> Successfully uploaded packages. But on
> https://launchpad.net/myname/+archive/ubuntu-handleiding12.04 I still
> see: This PPA does not contain any packages yet. Any idea why?
>
> I used the commands debuild and dh-make to create the package. If you
> need any further information from me, please let me know.
>
> Hannie
>
> Done so far:
>
> 1. Install software for package building: $ sudo apt-get install
> packaging-dev and $ sudo apt-get install build-essential and sudo
> apt-get install dh-make
>
> 2. Create GPG key
>
> 3. Set up pbuilder (allows you to build packages locally on your
> machine, chroot environment)
>
> pbuilder-dist precise create
>
> 4. Configure your system to work with Launchpad
>
>  *
>
>    Upload gpg key + SSH key
>
>  *
>
>    Configure Bazaar
>
>  *
>
>    Configure your shell .bashrc: DEBFULLNAME + DEBEMAIL
>
> 5. Extract Debian: python-distutils-extra_2.29-1.debian.tar.gz >
> /home/ppa/debian
>
> 6. Build package
>
>  *
>
>    pbuilder or debuild? *debuild* creates all the files necessary for
>    uploading a Debian package.
>
>  *
>
>    Run the command dh-make providing the package name, version number,
>    and path to the (upstream) tarball
>
>  *
>
>    Edit changelog, control, copyright files

Did you run the command
    debuild -S -sa
at this point to create the source package? The -sa switch makes debuild
mention the original tarball in the .changes file, so that dput will
upload it to the PPA when requested; without it, Launchpad will fail to
locate the original source code and abort the build process.

> 7. Launchpad: create new PPA then activate PPA on your profile page
>
>  *
>
>    bzr push lp:~my_lp_name/ppa_name or on profile page: create a new PPA
>
>  *
>
>    Enter URL name, display name, description then click button Activate
>
> 8. Upload mijn-ubuntu-handleiding*.changes to my_PPA on Launchpad
>
> Successfully uploaded packages. On Launchpad: This PPA does not contain
> any packages yet.

Did you receive an e-mail indicating acceptance or rejection after the
upload? If so, what were its contents? (Also, make sure to upload the
.changes file corresponding to the source package mentioned above).

Alessandro Menti
--
A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink.
The bartender replies "for you, no charge".