gsoap doesn't authenticate in 12.04LTS

David Newall ubuntu at davidnewall.com
Thu Dec 5 11:36:48 UTC 2013

Hi Robie,

I'd agree with you about how reasonable the age of the version of gsoap
is if it was for 12.10, but for 12.04, the current long term support
version, to have such an old version that doesn't work seems, well,
insupportable.  It would be different if LTS's version worked, because
then there'd be a risk of a downside in releasing any random newer
version, but it doesn't and there isn't.  As recently as six months ago
Ubuntu's version was eighteen months old.  That's hardly bleeding edge;
it's cadaverous edge.

A backport would be good.  I think that's what I was suggesting.

It took real programming skills to see why my old software stopped
working on my new server.  Google was not my friend.  I found the fault,
fixed it (for me) and reported it for the next person. That's probably
as much as I reasonably can do.  I hope an answer can now be found via
search engines.  Mind you, logic suggests that gsoap is as popular on
Ubuntu as kvegelop, so the other person who uses it probably already knows!

Cheers,

David