Future of ubuntu-motu-mentors at lists.ubuntu.com

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a.starr.b at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:56:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Recently I've been wondering what should happen to
ubuntu-motu-mentors at lists.ubuntu.com The list was never very high
volume, but recently it has seen almost no activity. Attached is a
histogram of mailinglist volume over time for ubuntu-motu-mentors. It
seems that many Ubuntu Developers don't even know that it still exists
anymore. This leads to a very poor experience for those aspiring
developers that do find their way there. Questions go unanswered for
long periods of time or forgotten all together.

I know that there will be some discussion on developer mentoring at
UDS. [1] Unless a specific plan emerges to revive the
ubuntu-motu-mentors list, I propose that we ask to have
ubuntu-motu-mentors redirect permanently to the regular ubuntu-motu
list. The latter has more subscribers so will more likely provide a
better experience for potential developers. It has also been fairly
low volume recently [2], so I don't think the combined volume will be
a problem for subscribers.

Thoughts?

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-p-dev-advisory-team
[2] http://andrewsomething.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/fun-with-graphs/