gnu-smalltalk amd64 missing

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 16 17:33:32 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 16,February,2011 07:00 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
> Since nearly over a year now the gnu-smalltalk is broken on Ubuntu (since
> maverick to be precise) on my amd64 developer machine. Since this time I have
> now to dual-boot with a GenToo to develop with GST since Ubuntu only has the
> i368 version but not the amd64 version.
>
> Why exactly is there no amd64 version since over a year whereas GenToo has an
> amd64 version and it works splendid? Is it because of this one test case which
> fails in the build logs?
>
>>  111: DBD-MySQL                                       skipped (testsuite.at:149)
>>  116: GDBM                                            FAILED (testsuite.at:154)
>>
>>  ERROR: 125 tests were run,
>>  1 failed unexpectedly.
>>  1 test was skipped.
>
> A skipped test is nothing special and GDBM failing the test by itself also
> nothing special (it's under "other package"). Is it not possible to do something
> about this? It's quite a nuisance to dual-boot just because an amd64 version is
> refused to be done.
>
> (if you answer on this mail, please also CC roland at rptd.ch as I can't register
> on this mailing list for some reason)

Sorry about that. It's not that the amd64 version is refused to be done, but
more like nobody who used the package stepped forward to fix it (just a
no-change re-upload, since the tests all pass now anyway).

There's a bug on this[1], and I've just uploaded an unchanged package to the
maverick-proposed queue. Please subscribe yourself to that bug, and when the
package gets approved for the -proposed queue (and subsequently get copied into
natty), please verify that it works fine on Maverick so that users may get it
via maverick-updates.

Thanks for the notifying us about this.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk/+bug/712296

--