gnu-smalltalk amd64 missing

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Wed Feb 16 11:00:25 UTC 2011

Since nearly over a year now the gnu-smalltalk is broken on Ubuntu
(since maverick to be precise) on my amd64 developer machine. Since this
time I have now to dual-boot with a GenToo to develop with GST since
Ubuntu only has the i368 version but not the amd64 version.

Why exactly is there no amd64 version since over a year whereas GenToo
has an amd64 version and it works splendid? Is it because of this one
test case which fails in the build logs?

>  111: DBD-MySQL                                       skipped (testsuite.at:149)
>  116: GDBM                                            FAILED (testsuite.at:154)
>
>  ERROR: 125 tests were run,
>  1 failed unexpectedly.
>  1 test was skipped.

A skipped test is nothing special and GDBM failing the test by itself
also nothing special (it's under "other package"). Is it not possible to
do something about this? It's quite a nuisance to dual-boot just because
an amd64 version is refused to be done.

(if you answer on this mail, please also CC roland at rptd.ch as I can't
register on this mailing list for some reason)