Debconf help

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Thu Jul 22 21:29:42 BST 2010

On 22/07/10 21:12, Tony Yarusso wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 21:59 +0200, Stefan Potyra wrote:
>> Oh, just saw another thing while taking a glimpse:
>>         sed -i 's/\#includedir\ \/etc\/sudoers\.d/includedir\
>> \/etc\/sudoers\.d/' /etc/sudoers

What? Are you attempting to 'uncomment' the directive? man sudoers says
that the # sign is part of the syntax of the directive, not a comment.

But, also...

>> Please don't modify settings of a different package apart from the official
>> interface (that is exactly what sudoers.d is for).
>
> How am I supposed to use sudoers.d if it's disabled?  Or will that
> actually work, and the commented-out option is only if you want a
> different includedir?

The file /etc/sudoers.d/README explains why the #includedir directive is
sometimes present, sometimes not.

Debian/Ubuntu have a fairly strong philosophy that you must never
clobber the local sysadmin's interventions it /etc/.  As explained in
that README file, the choice was made for the sudo package to *not*
auto-add it to existing sudoers files on upgrade - you shouldn't attempt
to second-guess the sudo maintainers choices about their package's own
config files.

Max.