Debconf help

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Thu Jul 22 01:05:40 BST 2010

On 20/07/10 22:16, Tony Yarusso wrote:
> So I'm taking my first stab at implementing debconf in a package, and
> having some hangups.  Currently I have it such that running
> dpkg-reconfigure on my package will work just fine, but the questions
> are not asked during initial installation.  There are two questions -
> one with a "low" priority and the other with "high"; neither are asked
> when installing.  Anyone care to enlighten me as to what I'm doing
> wrong?
>
> The package can be found in my PPA (tonyyarusso/ppa),
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~tonyyarusso/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1241047/+listing-archive-extra

Perhaps your local debconf is configured to only ask you critical
questions. I took your source package, and was correctly asked the high
question but not the low question on initial installation (as my debconf
priority is set to high).

> I'd also be open to any other criticisms / improvements you have to
> offer - I know it still has a long way to go to meet your normal
> standards.  For the time being I'm not expecting to get it up to snuff
> for inclusion in the archives, rather just working, although that may be
> a longer-term goal.

Random other things I noticed whilst looking at your source package:

* Do not call db_go after every db_input - instead, call db_go only
after a batch of several db_input. This allows debconf frontends capable
of presenting multiple questions on-screen simultaneously to do so.

* Do not use "Depends: debconf", dh_installdebconf will add the correct
form of debconf dependency via ${misc:Depends}.

* Do not use service to invoke initscripts from package maintainer
scripts. Instead follow Debian policy:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.3.3.2

Max.