motu-release

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Feb 17 22:32:13 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am Wednesday 17 February 2010 11:03:09 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 03:03:35PM +0100, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> > I've (only) talked to Daniel so far and we came up with the following
> > possible alternatives:
> >
> >  - Flavours like Kubuntu can approve their own members, so it would
> >    make sense to let them make decisions in terms of freeze exceptions
> >    too. (The MOTU Release team had delegates of various teams that
> >    made decisions, which worked out well.)
>
> Between Jonathan's Riddell's status as a member of the release team, and
> his repeated delegation by motu-release regarding Kubuntu packages in
> universe, I think that reasonably approximates the status quo; but I
> hesitate to describe this as "flavors making their own decisions about
> freeze
> exceptions".  So long as the Ubuntu family of distributions continue to
> make releases together out of the same archive, there's a need for
> coordination on such matters as the timing of the archive freeze, buildd
> quiescing for ISO mastering, and release-readiness criteria; I think the
> best option is to continue having a central team, which can either solicit
> team members from the flavour communities or delegate freeze decisions for
> a set of packages.

Agreed. Delegating freeze decisions for a set of packages matches very much
what we've done with delegates so far :).

motu-release chose the relevant delegates themselves. With "decisions in terms
of freeze exceptions", I meant that not motu-release chooses delegates, but
any team can handle freeze exception requests for a given subset of packages
how the team think it's best. Of course this should include a responsibility
to ask the release-team in case of potentially contentious packages.

Cheers,
  Stefan.