Søren Hansen and Michael Bienia

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Mon Nov 2 16:23:30 GMT 2009

<quote who="Stefan Potyra" date="Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:43:22PM +0100">
> > Let's not bog ourselves down in procedural pedantry. If the CC need to,
> > we can make direct appointments and replacements on any structure in
> > Ubuntu, and will do so.
>
> Thanks, Mark, that's at least a clear announcement, helping me better
> understand how the Ubuntu government works in reality, and to what degree
> government bodies value the community.

Everyone involved values the community. If you doubt that, we have very
serious problems.

Mark's point, as I understand it, is something that's easy to let out of
sight: The rules we create are here to help us work more efficiently and
effectively. If they are getting in the way of accomplishing things --
like calling for the election of people who will not have time to serve
even a reasonable portion of their term -- not only can then be bent,
they should be.

The rules exist for a reason and, especially at the highest level of
governance like on the CC, TB, and MOTU Council, their application needs
to be driven by common sense and need to be enforced, or changed, based
on these underlying reasons.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto