MOTU Release Charter

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Mar 20 00:22:24 GMT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:06:53 -0700 Jordan Mantha <laserjock at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:18:46 -0700 Jordan Mantha <laserjock at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

>>>Thanks to the MOTU Release team for all the work they've put into this
charter.

>>>I don't have any major problems with the charter but I have a couple
questions:

>>>  * is the consultation with the doc team upon UI Freeze only for
>>>seeded packages as well? I wasn't totally clear on that one.
>>
>> It's my understanding (from discussions with ubuntu-release) that U/I
freeze only affects seeded packages.

>That makes sense and is what I assumed, but wasn't *exactly* sure so I
>thought I'd ask.
>
>>>  * "targeted goals" and "motu-release goals" are mentioned. Does that
>>>mean MOTU Release will define and publish release goals?
>>
>> This is something that I think we have never done.  I would say yes, but
I'm not sure exactly how it would work.  I have, as the Server Team
delegate, approved FFe (as recently as today) based on the Server release
goal of supporting cloud computing.

>> I think that exactly how a Universe release goal would get
proposed/accepted is something we need to figure out.  Personally, I don't
think it needs to be defined in the charter.

>I agree that the charter is probably not a place to discuss how we get
>release goals, but I think it helps people see the basis for MOTU
>Release decisions and gives a better idea of where we're heading if we
>do have some defined/published release goals.

I'm generically in favor of MOTU release goals that motu-release would help
coordinate/facilitate.  Personally I've always come up empty when I try to
think up what they might be.

>>>  * somewhat similar to the previous question, I see mentions of
>>>"transitions". Is is MOTU Release going to define and/or accept
>>>transitions?
>>
>> Post FF if someone wants to start a library transition it ought to have
an FFe from motu-release.  This is how we've operated for some time and
nothing new (I don't think).  This is one area where motu-release does
report to the Ubuntu Release team at the regular release team meetings.

>Right, so it didn't seem quite clear to me what defines a transition?
>does say 3 packages constitute a transition? do we just use common
>sense there? It was also not clear in the wording that motu-release is
>only involved post FF.

I can't envision what a non-feature library transition would be.  If it's not clear it's only
post-FF, then we ought to adjust it.  If you've proposed wording, I'd suggest put it in the
wiki page.

>Again, all this is just clarification of the language, I've got no
>problems with the spirit of the Charter.

Glad to hear it.

Scott K