MOTU Release Charter

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Mar 19 23:44:36 GMT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:18:46 -0700 Jordan Mantha <laserjock at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
>> During the Intrepid cycle the MOTU release team members were asked to come up
>> with a charter for the team.  It's taken us some time to get a draft
>> together, but this:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/MOTUReleaseCharter
>
>Thanks to the MOTU Release team for all the work they've put into this charter.
>
>I don't have any major problems with the charter but I have a couple questions:
>
>  * is the consultation with the doc team upon UI Freeze only for
>seeded packages as well? I wasn't totally clear on that one.

It's my understanding (from discussions with ubuntu-release) that U/I freeze only affects seeded packages.

>  * "targeted goals" and "motu-release goals" are mentioned. Does that
>mean MOTU Release will define and publish release goals?

This is something that I think we have never done.  I would say yes, but I'm not sure exactly how it would work.  I have, as the Server Team delegate, approved FFe (as recently as today) based on the Server release goal of supporting cloud computing.

I think that exactly how a Universe release goal would get proposed/accepted is something we need to figure out.  Personally, I don't think it needs to be defined in the charter.

>  * somewhat similar to the previous question, I see mentions of
>"transitions". Is is MOTU Release going to define and/or accept
>transitions?

Post FF if someone wants to start a library transition it ought to have an FFe from motu-release.  This is how we've operated for some time and nothing new (I don't think).  This is one area where motu-release does report to the Ubuntu Release team at the regular release team meetings.

For this cycle the ghc6 transition (which was totally in Universe) that was in progress at FF and the Python transition that we've inherited from Main have both been distro level interest items.

Scott K