How to put our new package (for free) into Karmic 9.10

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:44:19 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 12:10 +0200, Ilgis Ibragimov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for your kind answers. Please, see my answer below.
>
> Max Bowsher wrote:
> > Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Ilgis

> > > I believe you will only need to upload the source package to REVU, from
> > > there the build server(s) should be able to build the the binary
> > > packages.
> > >

> > REVU is a tool for publishing proposed source packages for review by
> > MOTUs and the community - no automatic builds are performed on REVU uploads.
> >
> > REVU is definitely the right place to be publishing a new source package
> > you would like advice and comments on, but asking specific questions
> > either on this mailing list or on the #ubuntu-motu IRC channel is also
> > advisable.
> >
> > In particular, why does your package need so many platform-variant
> > builds? Mostly Ubuntu only differentiates between x86 and x86_64 CPU
> > architectures.
> >
> Our package is very processor dependent. It means we have several
> different algorithms depending on amount of CPU cores, or processor
> core and on the amount of L1/L2/L3 cache. It is really highly
> commercially tuned. We decide to share it in Ubuntu community, so, it
> is the main reason why we should build several versions depending on
> hardware. We may install CPU detector in sources, but it will force
> user to compile this package, that might be not very convenient.

I presume this detection isn't done at run-time for performance reasons?
I would naively expect the library to perform this detection once at
initialisation and from then on call into the appropriate
system-specific code, but there's probably a reason you aren't already
doing this.

As long as all these different build configurations can be manually
configured (ie: don't automatically tune for the system they're being
built on) it would be possible to build all these different binary
packages; it'll just be a bit of a pain.  Both for the packaging and for
the users.