How to put our new package (for free) into Karmic 9.10

Ilgis Ibragimov ii at elegant-mathematics.com
Mon Jul 27 11:10:50 BST 2009

Hi,

thank you for your kind answers. Please, see my answer below.

Max Bowsher wrote:
> Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
>
>> Hi Ilgis
>>
>> Ilgis Ibragimov wrote:
>>
>>> One small question regarding to our package. We have it right now as
>>> sources, and we can provide as sources. However, it is highly desirable
>>> to build many (about 10) different libraries for different platforms,
>>> for example:
>>> 1. CPU AMD 32bit,
>>> 2. CPU AMD 64bit,
>>> 3. CPU Intel 32bit,
>>> 4. CPU Inter 64bit,
>>> 5. GPU NVIDIA 8xxx,
>>> 6. GPU NVIDIA 9xxx,
>>> 7. GPU NVIDIA 2xxx,
>>> and probably some other minor things depending on amount of Cores in CPU.
>>>
>>> We can provide binaries as well. Would you please, to tell me is the
>>> REVU is the right place where I get an information how to organize the
>>> package so that it provide only the best suitable version for user?
>>>
>> I believe you will only need to upload the source package to REVU, from
>> there the build server(s) should be able to build the the binary
>> packages.
>>

> REVU is a tool for publishing proposed source packages for review by
> MOTUs and the community - no automatic builds are performed on REVU uploads.
>
> REVU is definitely the right place to be publishing a new source package
> you would like advice and comments on, but asking specific questions
> either on this mailing list or on the #ubuntu-motu IRC channel is also
> advisable.
>
> In particular, why does your package need so many platform-variant
> builds? Mostly Ubuntu only differentiates between x86 and x86_64 CPU
> architectures.

Our package is very processor dependent. It means we have several
different algorithms depending on amount of CPU cores, or processor core
and on the amount of L1/L2/L3 cache. It is really highly commercially
tuned. We decide to share it in Ubuntu community, so, it is the main
reason why we should build several versions depending on hardware. We
may install CPU detector in sources, but it will force user to compile
this package, that might be not very convenient.

> Max.

Ilgis
--
Dr. Ilgis Ibragimov
Vice-President

My original message was:

Hi,

our company Elegant Mathematics Ltd. uses Ubuntu last 3 years and want
to contribute in Ubuntu for free as the respect to Ubuntu community.

We have several iterative linear system solvers: CG, BiCGStab, GMRES
etc., implemented on CPU and GPU with massively parallel support,
single/double/quad precisions, real/complex arithmetics, and these
solvers were commercialized by Elegant Mathematics since 1992. We would
like to provide important part of these solves (especially with CUDA GPU
support) for free for all Ubuntu users.

I know that Ubuntu have already several similar packages like superlu,
umfpack, but these packages do not support GPU computing. Using GPU we
can improve up to 50 times computational speed achieving 250 GFlop/s on
GTX 260, and our achievements are listed on NVIDIA Corporate site at
http://www.nvidia.com/cuda

We may provide the following two packages:

1. Open Source (GPL) software with preconditioned iterative methods and
single/double/quad precision for real/complex arithmetics to be
incorporated into main Ubuntu repository;

2. free for Ubuntu users library for NVIDIA GPU for the same topic to be
incorporated into partner or multiverse release since our algorithms
then depend on NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

The questions:

1. how to proceed to be listed with this package in Ubuntu main
repository, and to whom can I refer?

2. These packages are ready now, can we expect if we will work fast,
enter to the 9.10 release?

PS: If my topic does not fit to this mailing list, please, advise me
where I can post it?