smtpguard problems

Miguel mgallach at uta.edu
Fri Jul 10 15:37:20 BST 2009

Hi Stefan,

when I open Synaptic Package Manager it tells me that "I have a broken
package", referring to smtpguard. When I try to delete it, the program
returns this: "E: smtpguard: subprocess pre-removal script returned
error exit status 1". Looking at the details, I read the next:

<<...Removing smtpguar...
Stopping smtpguard: invoke-rc. d: initscript smtpguard, action "stop"
failed.
dpkg: error processing smtpguard (--remove):
  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
update-re.d: warning: /etc/init.d/smtpguard missing LSB information
update-re.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
Starting smtpguard: smtpguard-daemon.
  smtpguard
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:>>

I installed Kubuntu 9.04 by upgrading 8.10. It is since then I have this
problem.

I visited
"https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/smtpguard/+bugs" and I
would say my problem is the bug 353984. Because of this bug I can't
install many other programs and I guess it is also the reason I can't
install the upgrades.

I also tried to install the upstream from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flexguard/, but it is impossible because
of the same problem with smtpguard.

I hope this information can help. Thanks again.

Miguel

--
Miguel Gallach Caballero

University of Texas at Arlington