The Mono 2.0 transition [Phase 2 complete: applications]

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Wed Feb 18 13:25:31 GMT 2009

It's been a while since my last update on this, but I'm delighted to
announce that other than one or two stragglers awaiting an ACK in
Launchpad, phase 2 of the Mono 2.0 transition is complete. For those
who've forgotten, this transition allows us to give users a new smaller
Mono environment whereby only one version of the core libraries need to
be installed, rather than both available versions.

When I first wrote to you[1], I was warning of what was to come, and
implied that most of the early stages of work would be carried out by
the Debian pkg-mono team. The second time[2], after that work was done,
I was essentially putting out a plea to the great Ubuntu development
community to help. And boy, did you guys deliver!

I want to take the time to thank everyone who helped make this major
transition happen - and not only that, but to leap in and help when a
second unexpected transition occurred.

At the head of the pack was Iain Lane, who has been an invaluable asset
to the pkg-mono team (taking on a big volume of work alongside the core
team of myself, Mirco Bauer, and David Paleino). Also working hard at
the MOTU end were James Westby, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals, Iulian
Udrea, and Christopher James Halse Rogers. The heroes of the Gnome# 2.24
transition were Stefan Ebner, Christopher James Halse Rogers (again),
Iulian Udrea (again), Luca Falavigna, Mieszko Ślusarczyk, Iain Lane
(again), and Pedro Fragoso. I hope I haven't missed anyone out!

Also a quick mention for those lovely sponsors and archive admins who
put up with my obnoxious whining and badgering - you know who you are.

With applications complete, it means that any library is fair game for
conversion - and for every library with a dependency on
libmono-corlib1.0-cil which is converted, the space used on disk for
Mono apps grows smaller. Hurrah!

There are still a few places here & there which can see further
shrinkage, but the hardest part is done.

Thanks to all involved for proving the power of the Ubuntu development
community!

--Jo Shields

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2008-November/005031.html