Sponsorship for removal requests?

Adrien Cunin adri2000 at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 14 23:29:44 BST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 07:59:02PM +0100, James Westby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We just had a debate on IRC about whether a sponsor is required
> to ACK a removal request before the archive admin's are subscribed.
>
> Most of us thought that was the case, and for good reason, but Michael
> said that he had done removals directly before, so we weren't sure
> if that was just the archive admins not catching it, or we had
> the wrong idea of the policy.
>
> Could someone confirm whether sponsors are needed for removal requests?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

As I said on IRC, MOTUs are responsible for all the changes happening in
universe/multiverse, being NEW packages, new versions/revisions of packages,
removals of packages, or anything else that affects those parts of the archive.
Moreover, everyone knows sponsorship is required to change a package (manual
upload or sync), it would be incredible if removal didn't require it, ie. if
anyone could just decide to remove a package from the archive.

The same applies for core-devs and main/restricted.

Archive admins only do what developers request, they usually do not check
whether it is a good thing or not, even though they may use both their reviewer
and archive admin hats (but that should be made clear in the bug report).

--
Adrien Cunin aka Adri2000