motu-release will revert libgems-ruby to the old state.

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 1 18:17:29 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008, Mathias Gug wrote:
>   1. sudo apt-get install rubygems
>   2. sudo gem install rails
>   3. Modify the default PATH in the environment to include
>   /var/lib/gems/1.X/bin/ so that the rails command can be invoked from the
>   command line.
>   The upload aims at removing step number 3 from the process by symlinking
>   the gem binary from /var/lib/gems/1.X/bin/ into /usr/local/bin/.

 -You certainly considered the following option, but I'm curious about
 the rationale for excluding it from the implementation.)

 Why don't you do 3 in place of the admin instead of using /usr/local?

 If touching /etc/environment is too fragile, could we add some new
 mechanism to handle default PATH changes (e.g. /etc/environment.d)?

 For example, libnssmdns mangles /etc/nsswitch.conf to add its entries:
 this sounds equally intrusive to me.

--
Loïc Minier