Stable Release Update Regression/Build Problem

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 25 08:26:15 BST 2008

Hi Scott,

Scott Kitterman [2008-06-24 22:21 -0400]:
> -The [WWW] SRU verification team will regularly check open bugs with the
> verification-needed tag and test proposed updates on different hardware to
> check for inadvertent side effects.
> +The [WWW] SRU verification team will regularly check open bugs with the
> verification-needed tag and test proposed updates on different hardware to
> check for inadvertent side effects.  Verification must be done in a software
> environment as close as is feasible to that which will exist after the
> package is copied to *-updates for.  Generally this will be with a system
> that is up to date from *-release, *-security, and *-updates, but not other
> packages from *-proposed.

That sounds good to me in spirit, however, I'd like it to have some
operational instructions. Can we add a sentence like

  This generally means to update all binary packages which are built
  from the affected source package.

? Since it is not even technically possible to copy just some binary
packages from -proposed to -updates, verification should always be
done that way IMHO.

Martin