multiple pbuilders

Peter peter at ourvirtualhome.com
Mon Jun 9 02:25:39 BST 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:22:07 +0200
"Jeffrey Ratcliffe" <jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/6/8 Martijn van Iersel <amarillion at yahoo.com>:
> > I'm trying to create multiple pbuilders, as described in
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto. I'm using the exact
> > pbuilderrc mentioned in the howto, but with intrepid added to the
> > list of possible values for DIST. It's not working. For some reason
> > my .pbuilderrc is ignored. For example, if I do
> >
> > martijn at arlene:~$ DIST=blah sudo pbuilder create
>
> I had exactly the same problem, and ended up solving it with:
>
> sudo DIST=blah pbuilder create
>
> i.e. the version of sudo in hardy doesn't seem to hand on the
> environmental variables.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

This behavior is correct.
Sudo shouldn't hand on variables. You start a new shell when you do
sudo and therefor variables will be reset.
Type 'env' as your user and then 'sudo env' and you will see that
variables set as a normal user aren't available.

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98
Blog: http://blog.avirtualhome.com