SUSPECT: Re: mplayer should be moved to universe

Cesare Tirabassi norsetto at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 1 11:32:14 BST 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008 12:12:33 Cesare Tirabassi wrote:

> 1) following Debian by disabling mencoder, which doesn't seem to be wished
> by seeing posts in this thread and reactions on IRC
>
> 2) having two different source packages (which, quite frankly, doesn't seem
> feasible from a maintenability pov).

I forgot 3) which perhaps could be investigated further:

3) having the mplayer source in multiverse producing an mplayer (and
mplayer-nogui) binary packages in universe and an mencoder binary package in
multiverse.

Note that currently mplayer has the following deps in multiverse:

liblame0
libx264-57
libxvidcore4
mplayer-skins

I guess thats mainly a dpkg-shlibdeps artifact but for mplayer-skins
(copyrighted art?). mplayer-skins is obviously not a dep of mplayer-nogui.

Cesare