Naming problem for the "Falcon Programming Language" in Ubuntu.

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 14 18:12:32 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:17:49PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > IMO, the programming language should allowed to be /usr/bin/falcon.
> > Changing the name of the interpreter will mean that any program that
> > is supposed to be interpreted by falcon will need to be patched.
> > OTOH, renaming the binary in Dennis' repository management thing has
> > very limited consequences.
> Well, as I understand this falcon language is not even uploaded to the
> archive, so there can't be any other package which is depending on
> #!/usr/bin/falcon, or did I miss something?

Not in the archive, but if falcon is going to be named /usr/bin/falcon
*everywhere* else in the world, then all scripts that are meant to be
interpreted by falcon will have "#!/usr/bin/falcon" in their header, so
for no sensible reason *at* *all* you will have to change every single
falcon script before it can run on Ubuntu, which is completely
pointless.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team