[Fwd: Naming problem for the "Falcon Programming Language" in Ubuntu.]

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 14 13:56:46 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:52:43AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> That's why I always tell upstream authors to never package their own
> software, because they are not objective.

I think this is silly. The more familiar the maintainer is with upstream
the better, IMO. They need to realise that there are different
responsibilities and goals involved, but otherwise, I'd love to have
more upstreams maintain their own packages in Ubuntu.

> Well, I don't know your project, neither do I know the other falcon
> project. Having not a installation statistic available, it's quite
> useless to discuss this.  Ubuntu != the OSS universe..publish your
> software, someone will package your project for redhat, suse,
> ubuntu,debian etc. and then you will which porject is more known under
> the name of "Falcon". The user will decide what they will use and the
> package maintainer will decide what to do in case of name clashes and
> how to package the two projects.

I think it's perfectly alright for Giancarlo to spark (and take part in)
the discussion here.

Sorting this naming issue earlier rather than later is the better
approach for everyone.

> Neither the users of linux nor the package maintainers of linux can
> deal with social problems regarding naming of software projects. And
> yes, I know how developers feel, when someone took their name for a
> different project...they feel illtreated, but as I said in the very
> beginning, this is not an ubuntu or motu problem, it's a problem
> between you and dennis and the two "falcon" project.

I'm confused. You keep saying that Giancarlo should not deal with
packaging at all, but leave it to something else, but still you want him
and Dennis to have the discussion so that we don't have to?

It's perfectly possible for Giancarlo and Dennis to not give a hoot
about each other's projects. Dennis' Falcon is a python project and
Dennis is a python programmer, and Giancarlo doesn't (AFAIK) maintain a
debian style repository using falcon, so they could just completely
ignore each other (and their respective projects) and go on their merry
way. What is their motivation to sort this out if not to help Ubuntu
(and other distributions)?

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team