Naming problem for the "Falcon Programming Language" in Ubuntu.

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Mon Jan 14 12:33:31 GMT 2008

Scott Kitterman wrote:

> My suggestion is to call your package falconpl as you've said you would and
> then conflict against falcon.  After that, we can let the market decide.  If
> one of these packages gets popular enough to cause the other difficulty with
> the conflicts, then the less popular one will move their file in /usr/bin.

I second that. I seems to me that Giancarlo has not understood what several
people have already attempted to explain on IRC, and that Scott also writes
above. Thus, let me try again to make it clear:

It is required that there is no package name clash, and by choosing
falconpl as the package name, that has been achieved.

The remaining problem is the clash of binary names. Dpkg has a way of
dealing with that, and that is the Conflicts: tag in debian/control.

This ensures that the packages falcon and falconpl can not be installed at
the same time on a given computer. But that is a small price to pay, and
given the small user bases of Falcon the programming language, and falcon
the repo manager, the likelihood of a situation where a user wants both
packages installed, is close to nil.

We already have git the VCS and git the GNU file browser (git-core vs.
git). I am sure that there are numerous other program name clashes in
Ubuntu/Debian; programs with generic names like display, show, merge, find,
link, config etc. are common and countless.

I see no point of making a big fuzz about this rather trivial problem. Put
a Conflicts: tag in control, and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers,
Morten (aka mok0)