Feature Freeze and bug fix releases

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Feb 15 06:09:33 GMT 2008

Good Morning,

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Stephan Hermann wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I think you misread his proposal. There's no need for an ACK from motu-release
>>> if the new release is bug-fix only. That's why UpstreamVersionFreeze was changed
>>> to FeatureFreeze, to allow bug-fix-only releases without needed the paperwork.
>> No :)
>> 	MOTU => new release fixes bug => upload
>> 	NON-MOTU => new release fixes bug => needs paperwork => needs ack => upload
>
> That would be an ack from a MOTU (an ack as in a "looks ok, let's upload"), and
> not from motu-release as you said initially. But of course non-MOTUs need ACKs
> from MOTUs, but that's to do everything, as they can't do anything by themselves :)

Yeah, but after sleeping over it, I think it's too easy, and I think
many people will spam us with new versions because they fix simple bugs,
but introducing new features.
I would like to see (and in the case I need to do something like this)
at least a bug report with the rational and some background why we did
it. Actually it's a 3 minute report, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

> What I wanted to say is that we shouldn't require paperwork for something which
> was changed to avoid it (UVF -> FF) in case of bug-fixes-only releases.

Well, wine releases are bug-fixing-only releases with lots of features ;)

\sh