Feature Freeze and bug fix releases

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 15 01:18:08 GMT 2008

Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>> Stephan Hermann wrote:
>>> That's how I see it, too. If a new upstream fixes serious bugs, we
>>> should bring it in...(not forgetting the paperwork and an ack from
>>> motu-release)
>> I think you misread his proposal. There's no need for an ACK from motu-release
>> if the new release is bug-fix only. That's why UpstreamVersionFreeze was changed
>> to FeatureFreeze, to allow bug-fix-only releases without needed the paperwork.
>
> No :)
> 	MOTU => new release fixes bug => upload
> 	NON-MOTU => new release fixes bug => needs paperwork => needs ack => upload

That would be an ack from a MOTU (an ack as in a "looks ok, let's upload"), and
not from motu-release as you said initially. But of course non-MOTUs need ACKs
from MOTUs, but that's to do everything, as they can't do anything by themselves :)

Anyway I don't think non-MOTUs *need* (as in enforced by policy) to do
paperwork. Of course if they want to go through the SponsorsQueue they will do
it, but that's a different thing than Feature Freeze.

What I wanted to say is that we shouldn't require paperwork for something which
was changed to avoid it (UVF -> FF) in case of bug-fixes-only releases.

Cheers,
Emilio